MickaCoo Pigeon and Dove Rescue (MickaCoo.org) provides vet care, foster homes and adoption placement for hundreds of domestic, unreleasable pigeons and doves that would otherwise be euthanized in Bay Area animal shelters. Since 2008, we have been an all-volunteer division of nonprofit parrot rescue Mickaboo Companion Bird Rescue (Mickaboo.org) and we are always in need of donations, funding and adopters to help these gentle, intelligent and usually overlooked birds. MickaCoo has an opportunity to win a much-needed $10,000 grant in this month's Pepsi Refresh Project. The little birds that many disparage are making a surprisingly strong showing in this month’s Pepsi Refresh Challenge for a $10,000 grant. Currently, the pigeons are hanging tough in 14th place out of 160 worthy entrants in the $10K category. They need to be in the top 15 to win the funds that will keep MickaCoo’s rescue efforts afloat. Voting closes in just a few days, on September 30.
- Visit http://www.refresheverything.com/mickacoo and log in through Facebook or with a Pepsi account every day in September.
- To double your vote, text 108445 to 73774 daily.
- Log in to the link above and use Pepsi "power votes" from specially marked Pepsi products.
- Most animal shelters consider domestic pigeons and doves “unadoptable.” Shelters euthanize them at a higher rate than almost any other type of animal.
- Pigeons and doves make great pets. They are gentle, smart, and easy to care for.
- The San Francisco Bay Area’s MickaCoo Pigeon and Dove Rescue has mobilized enough support, volunteers, donations, and aviaries to save more than 450 of these “impossible” birds in the past 3 1/2 years, placing them in safe, forever homes. This year alone, MickaCoo has found homes for 200 pigeons and doves, like Yuzu and Quince.